Tuesday, March 11, 2008

let the sunshine in

hey everybody! i come to you on a beautiful day with the sun shining brightly outside and i am determined to enjoy it!

it looks like we will be taking my dad home on thursday and will be having a hospice nurse visit him and teach us all how to take care of him. she will come several days a week to check on him, as well as an aide and other hospice services. my dad is much more lucid and feisty today and that is a great thing- but we are told to expect "good days and bad days" as part of his condition.

end-stage liver failure is not a lovely prognosis, i agree. coordinating the calendar to ensure his round-the-clock care for the rest of his life (not sure if that is a few months or a lot of months) will also not be easy. but if it means that my dad gets to go home and live in his house and do a few things for himself on good days, i will do my best to be grateful for that.

let's just call it "early retirement".

i'll update again soon.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I'm here for you! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

How is your stepmom handling all this?

Lauryl Lane said...

lots of love to you, brooke. xoxo

care said...

brooke, this is excellent news, and I am so glad you're being as positive as you can. It's admirable and selfless and your daddy is lucky to have a daughter like you.

I will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Love to you and your fam, B. If you need anything...or dont need anything, I'm here. Without a roommate/spouse/etc, my only plans involve mtv on a daily basis, so I'm pretty free anytime... :)

I'm very glad he gets to come home.. Prognosis isn't what you'd like in a perfect world, but I'm really glad he gets to come home...Thanks for updating. Been waiting. :)

melissa said...

i love you, b. i am crossing my fingers for you and for your daddy... and carrie's right: he's so lucky to have such a great daughter.
i miss you bunches... this must be remedied. love love.