Friday, July 21, 2006

interesting things found on monuments

in case you didnt know this, i design monuments. yes, also known as headstones. it is pretty darn interesting to see what people carve in granite.


after three years, it's finally happened. i did my first monument this week with a lyric from "Freebird" on it. pretty awesomely hilarious, i must say.
















(tee from 80stees.com)



but i also came across my first monument with words on it that truly moved me- usually it's the standard-issue "Beloved Auntie and MawMaw" or whatever...but one that i've recently come across had a few lines from "the road not taken" by robert frost. it was a nice reminder to follow my dreams, so i thought i would post it to remind you all what a badass poem it is.

have a great weekend everyone!


Robert Frost (1874–1963)
Mountain Interval. 1920.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

beautiful.

katandkarl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
katandkarl said...

play some skynyrd. man.

Jax said...

Love. This. Post. Thanks, B.. Seriously.. I LOVE THAT POEM! Oh..and the Skynard thing is pretty freaking funny, too.. I heart you!

Angela said...

i've always loved that poem...my hiatus was short lived, I just can't stay away from you crazy bloggers...

care said...

thanks for the inspirational friday message. :)

Jennifer said...

One of my all time favorites!

Lauryl Lane said...

i heart robert frost.